Odpovědět 

Hodnocení tématu:
  • 0 Hlasů - 0 Průměr
The next generation of Cuban baseball stars
31-01-2019, 04:53 AM
Příspěvek: #1
The next generation of Cuban baseball stars
may have a much easier time reaching the major leagues.Cubans can sign under rules similar to what players from Japan Lance Lynn Jersey , South Korea and Taiwan face, according to an agreement among Major League Baseball, its players’ association and the Cuban Baseball Federation announced Wednesday. Players from Cuba would be allowed to sign big league contracts without defecting.For decades, Cuban players have arrived under mysterious circumstances, and stories have surfaced of the harrowing lengths they’ve gone to come play in the United States. Here are a few prominent examples:GARBEY ARRIVESBefore Cuban stars like Yasiel Puig and Yoenis Cespedes were even born, Barbaro Garbey made his major league debut for the World Series-winning Detroit Tigers in 1984. He’d come over during the 1980 Mariel boatlift, when some 125,000 Cubans were allowed to flee the island.A quarter-century later, Garbey told USA Today he had to try multiple times to join the boatlift.“The first three times, they recognized me, and said it was not for me,” he said. “The fourth time, the guy still recognized me http://www.stlouiscardinalsteamshop.com/...ire-jersey , and he said, ‘OK, you want to go, get the hell out of here.'”NATIONAL TEAMERSThe influx of Cuban defectors really began in 1991 when pitcher Rene Arocha, in the United States with the Cuban national team, walked away from teammates at a Miami airport. Slick-fielding shortstop Rey Ordonez scaled a fence when he left the Cuban team at the 1993 World University Games in Buffalo, New York.Pitcher Rolando Arrojo was in Georgia with the Cuban Olympic team in 1996 when he sneaked out of a hotel, jumped in a vehicle and was off to Miami. He became an All-Star for Tampa Bay in 1998.THE HERNANDEZ BROTHERSThe Cuban national team was training in Mexico in 1995 when Livan Hernandez walked off from a hotel and was able to take a flight to Venezuela. Two years later, he was the MVP of the World Series for the Florida Marlins.Orlando Hernandez, Livan’s half-brother, was banned from Cuban baseball after Livan’s departure. Orlando was able to escape with a small group via boat in December 1997. He made it to the Bahamas and eventually joined the Yankees. He was part of three World Series winners in New York, and also won a World Series with the White Sox in 2005.PUIG’S JOURNEYPuig defected from Cuba in 2012 after several failed attempts. He was smuggled out of Cuba by traffickers linked to a Mexican drug gang, according to court testimony.The Los Angeles Dodgers‘ star said in a statement Wednesday that he is happy to know future Cuban players won’t have to go through that type of ordeal. DETROIT (AP) — The Detroit Tigers didn’t solve all their offensive problems against the Minnesota Twins on Friday night.After scoring eight runs on a 0-6 road trip Dexter Fowler Jersey , the Tigers got three hits against Ervin Santana and the Minnesota bullpen in their first game back at home.Somehow, they turned that into enough for a 5-3 victory. Two of the hits were two-run home runs by Niko Goodrum and Jose Iglesias and the third was a JaCoby Jones triple that led to Detroit’s first run.“Three hits isn’t ideal, but we got a lot out of them,” Tigers manager Ron Gardenhire said. “We made some great defensive plays and we got a lot of pitching. We needed this.”It was the second time in franchise history the Tigers had gotten three or more hits in a game without a single or double. They beat the Washington Senators 3-1 on May 22, 1971 in a game when they also had a triple and two homers as their only hits.Detroit only scored eight runs while being swept in a pair of three-game road series against the Oakland Athletics and Los Angeles Angels.“We had a day off yesterday, and I think we were all able to put that road trip behind us,” Goodrum said. “I know I was able to work with the hitting coaches and make some adjustments that I needed.”Jordan Zimmermann (5-4) gave up two unearned runs on eight hits in 6 1/3 innings. He struck out one batter and didn’t issue a walk.“I didn’t have my best stuff, but I felt like I was able to locate all four of my pitches,” he said. “The fastball was good, the slider was really good, and I yanked a couple curveballs but also had some good ones. I even played with a baby split that I threw a few times.”Shane Greene allowed an RBI double to Ehire Adrianza with two out in the ninth before retiring Joe Mauer for his 24th save.Ervin Santana (0-1) took the loss in his fourth start of the season. He allowed five runs on three hits and two walks in six innings, striking out two.“Some of the time you give up seven hits, eight hits http://www.stlouiscardinalsteamshop.com/...ton-jersey , even 10 hits and still win the game,” he said. “Sometimes you pitch good and lose. It’s a weird game. Nothing you can do.”The Twins had scoring chances in the first two innings but couldn’t take advantage.In the first, Tigers right fielder Nicholas Castellanos made a lunging grab of Logan Forsythe’s single down the line, forcing Jorge Polanco to hold at third.In the next inning, Nick Cave wiped out rounding second on what should have been an easy triple and Zimmermann escaped the inning. Cave made up for it in the bottom of the inning, making a running catch of Goodrum’s 419-foot liner to the center-field wall.“We had baserunners, but we didn’t get the hits we needed to score,” Twins manager Paul Molitor said. “I thought Ervin pitched better, but the two two-run homers were the difference at the end of the day.”The Twins did take a 1-0 lead in the third. After Polanco’s double in the third, Forsythe singled off Zimmermann’s glove. Goodrum’s belated throw to first was too high, allowing the runner to score.Jones led off the bottom of the inning with a heads-up triple. On an apparent double, he took a long turn and stopped. When left fielder Eddie Rosario threw behind him, Jones took third and scored the tying run on Mike Gerber’s sacrifice fly.“I never know what Jonesy is doing out there Paul DeJong Jersey ,” Gardenhire said with a smile. “We didn’t know where he was going and neither did they, so he got away with it. He’s always entertaining.”Goodrum added a two-run homer in the fourth to put the Tigers up 3-1, and Iglesias made it 5-1 with his own two-run shot in the fifth. Mitch Garver’s sacrifice fly made it 5-2 in the sixth.TRAINER’S ROOMTwins: RHP Aaron Slegers was removed from his rehab assignment with Triple-A Rochester when he experienced discomfort in his pitching shoulder. He’s been on the disabled list since July 15 with inflammation in the shoulder.SANTANA SOUNDS OFFSantana wasn’t pleased with the front office’s decision to trade closer Fernando Rodney this week.“We are only 10 games out and we have two months to left. It seems like they gave up,” he said. “We’re not giving up but they did. They take our pieces away and it is difficult to play without our good pieces.”NEW TIGERS PITCHERThe Tigers signed free-agent pitcher Zach McAllister to a major-league contract on Friday. McCallister went 1-2 with a 4.97 ERA in 41 relief outings for the Cleveland Indians before being released on Aug. 7. McCallister will pitch out of Detroit’s bullpen. To make room for him on the roster, the Tigers designated Jacob Turner for assignment.UP NEXTThe teams play the second game of their weekend series on Saturday, with Detroit’s Francisco Liriano (3-6, 4.37) facing Minnesota’s Kyle Gibson (5-9, 3.60).
Vyhledat všechny příspěvky tohoto uživatele
Odpovědět s citací příspěvku
Odpovědět 

Příspěvky k tématu
The next generation of Cuban baseball stars - laiyongcai92 - 31-01-2019 04:53 AM

Skok na fórum:

Uživatel(é) prohlížející si toto téma: 1 Host(é)