Odpovědět 

Hodnocení tématu:
  • 0 Hlasů - 0 Průměr
SAN DIEGO (AP) — The Padres got a glimpse of their future
31-01-2019, 04:24 AM
Příspěvek: #1
SAN DIEGO (AP) — The Padres got a glimpse of their future
Friday night as one of its top pitching prospects shut down the Phillies.Jacob Nix pitched six strong innings in his major league debut and the San Diego Padres beat the Philadelphia Phillies 2-0 on Friday night.“It was a fun night for him http://www.rangersfanproshop.com/authent...dio-jersey ,” said Padres manager Andy Green. “The fastball command was there from the beginning.”Nix (1-0) got off to a rocky start. He stranded three runners after a pair of singles and a walk in the first, and two more runners in the second. Then he settled down, allowing one more baserunner the rest of the game, retiring 12 of his last 13 batters faced and striking out four.“I’ve worked my whole life for this moment,” Nix said. “I’m on cloud nine right now.”After settling in, Padres fans and Nix’ contingent of 60-plus guests grew noticeably louder each time he recorded an out.“I could hear my grandma, she’s always been the one I can hear,” said Nix.Freddy Galvis hit a two-out RBI single in the second to put the Padres up 1-0. Austin Hedges scored from second after initially reaching base on a bloop single Robinson Chirinos Jersey , and then stealing second.Hedges then added a solo homer on a 1-2 pitch in the fourth to put the Padres up 2-0. It was Hedges ninth home run of the season.Hedges caught Nix while on a rehab assignment earlier this season and says he remembers Nix dominating then and dominating now.“You couldn’t even tell it was his debut,” said Hedges.Down 2-0, the Phillies appeared to be threatening after a leadoff single and a walk to start the seventh inning, but Padres reliever Matt Strahm struck out the next two and induced a weak ground ball out to end the inning.Strahm, Craig Stammen and Kirby Yates combined for three innings of scoreless relief.Odubel Herrera and Maikel Franco both singled to lead off the ninth for the Phillies, but Yates struck out two of the last three batters to pick up his fourth save of the season after replacing former Padres closer Brad Hand.“We were in the game the entire time, had opportunities to score, we were not able to capitalize on those opportunities.” said Phillies manager Gabe Kapler. “That’s the story of the game.”Eric Hosmer had three hits Curtis Granderson Jersey , joining Galvis and Hedges as the only Padres to have hits.Phillies starter Zach Eflin (8-4) gave up both runs and five hits over six innings. He struck out eight.TRAINER’S ROOMPadres: Rookie LHP Eric Lauer (left forearm strain) played long toss before the game without any reported issues.UP NEXTPhillies: RHP Aaron Nola takes the mound against the Padres looking to bolster his Cy Young credentials.Padres: RHP Walter Lockett looks to grab his first win of the season on Saturday night. The next generation of Cuban baseball stars may have a much easier time reaching the major leagues.Cubans can sign under rules similar to what players from Japan, South Korea and Taiwan face, according to an agreement among Major League Baseball, its players’ association and the Cuban Baseball Federation announced Wednesday. Players from Cuba would be allowed to sign big league contracts without defecting.For decades, Cuban players have arrived under mysterious circumstances, and stories have surfaced of the harrowing lengths they’ve gone to come play in the United States. Here are a few prominent examples:GARBEY ARRIVESBefore Cuban stars like Yasiel Puig and Yoenis Cespedes were even born, Barbaro Garbey made his major league debut for the World Series-winning Detroit Tigers in 1984. He’d come over during the 1980 Mariel boatlift, when some 125 http://www.bluejaysfanproshop.com/authen...cia-jersey ,000 Cubans were allowed to flee the island.A quarter-century later, Garbey told USA Today he had to try multiple times to join the boatlift.“The first three times, they recognized me, and said it was not for me,” he said. “The fourth time, the guy still recognized me, and he said, ‘OK Yangervis Solarte Jersey , you want to go, get the hell out of here.'”NATIONAL TEAMERSThe influx of Cuban defectors really began in 1991 when pitcher Rene Arocha, in the United States with the Cuban national team, walked away from teammates at a Miami airport. Slick-fielding shortstop Rey Ordonez scaled a fence when he left the Cuban team at the 1993 World University Games in Buffalo, New York.Pitcher Rolando Arrojo was in Georgia with the Cuban Olympic team in 1996 when he sneaked out of a hotel, jumped in a vehicle and was off to Miami. He became an All-Star for Tampa Bay in 1998.THE HERNANDEZ BROTHERSThe Cuban national team was training in Mexico in 1995 when Livan Hernandez walked off from a hotel and was able to take a flight to Venezuela. Two years later, he was the MVP of the World Series for the Florida Marlins.Orlando Hernandez, Livan’s half-brother http://www.bluejaysfanproshop.com/authen...huk-jersey , was banned from Cuban baseball after Livan’s departure. Orlando was able to escape with a small group via boat in December 1997. He made it to the Bahamas and eventually joined the Yankees. He was part of three World Series winners in New York, and also won a World Series with the White Sox in 2005.PUIG’S JOURNEYPuig defected from Cuba in 2012 after several failed attempts. He was smuggled out of Cuba by traffickers linked to a Mexican drug gang, according to court testimony.The Los Angeles Dodgers‘ star said in a statement Wednesday that he is happy to know future Cuban players won’t have to go through that type of ordeal.
Vyhledat všechny příspěvky tohoto uživatele
Odpovědět s citací příspěvku
Odpovědět 

Příspěvky k tématu
SAN DIEGO (AP) — The Padres got a glimpse of their future - laiyongcai92 - 31-01-2019 04:24 AM

Skok na fórum:

Uživatel(é) prohlížející si toto téma: 1 Host(é)